The overall goal of the DZIF Academy is to close the gap of multidisciplinary training approaches within infection research in order to master the biological complexities associated with infectious diseases. MDs in particular are encouraged to pursue a career in infection research and contribute to the translation of novel findings from bench to bedside. Reflecting its dedication to training next-generation Clinician Scientists, the DZIF Academy will allocate each year one full-time MD/PhD stipend for three years (in exceptional cases as part time with a longer duration) in order to enable MDs the opportunity to obtain an additional doctoral degree (Dr. rer. nat., PhD or equivalent) at one of the DZIF partner sites.
DZIF MD/PhD Stipend: Who can apply?
- MDs (Physicians - Ärzte - or Dr. med.) in active patient service
- Advanced medical students nearing completion of medical studies
Physicians (Ärzte) and advanced medical students without the „Dr. med.“ are expected to hand in their medical doctoral thesis before starting their MD/PhD stipend. An approximate date for the Dr. med. defense must be included in the application.
Next Application Deadline: Friday, 21 March 2021
Applicants may choose their host institution, which must be a member of DZIF. The research program shall be coordinated between the applicant and host institution. The full-time stipend covers a full MD-salary and ensures 100% release from clinical duties for three years. After one year an interim report is required from the candidate.
Host laboratories will receive 15.000 € per year (7.500 € per year for part-time stipends) for consumables. To allow time for evaluation and administrative processing, please note that the earliest possible start date of the stipend would be 1 September 2021.
Applications must include:
- Online application form
- Motivation letter including long-term career goals (max. one page)
- Applicant’s CV (including publications and conference presentations)
- Mentor’s CV & publication record (last 4 years); list of doctoral and/or medical students supervised in the last 5 years incl. publications
- Validation from medical program director foreseeing the completion of medical studies and/or medical doctoral thesis if not yet obtained
- Confirmation from DZIF site coordinator
- Form declaring clinical director´s approval of release: Bestätigung über Freistellung
Please note that candidates must apply to their structured doctoral program of interest independent of the DZIF stipend application. Integration into a structured doctoral program is a pre-requisite for funding. A maximum of three applicants per partner site will be allowed.
Applications will be reviewed based on candidate´s qualifications and quality of the scientific project in relation to the DZIF mission. Important: Please send all application materials as a single PDF document to